No-one likes to have problems when they’ve spent their hard-earned money on a product and just want to play. However, they do happen from time-to-time and in the unfortunate event that you experience a problem with one of our titles, or an add-on you’ve purchased from Steam, we want to get you up and running as quickly as possible.
Before contacting our Customer Support Team, there are some steps that you can take on your own to rule out problems with:
- your own hardware devices, operating system, software or configuration;
- other software or third-party content not purchased from Steam;
- our product installations and/or required software, Steam Workshop or Steam Client Updates;
We’ve prepared this 11-step guide to help you check a few things before you’ll then need to contact us for further guidance. If you’re just looking to obtain a refund or have a problem purchasing a product from Steam, or our online store, please follow the instructions on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/212/0/dovetail-games-refund-policy.
It's very important that you follow each step carefully. Read each point then carry out the instructions provided, verifying whether you have been able to resolve the issue after each step. Some of the steps are quite technical, though we’ve prepared useful step-by-step guides that will walk you through each one. So you won’t need to be a specialist or whizz at computers. We’d recommend you print each set of instructions, in case you need to restart your computer.
If you find you’re unable to complete a step, we’d recommend you contact a local computer professional or your hardware equipment vendor for further guidance.
- Check that your computer meets the minimum required specification for Train Simulator and/or Train Sim World. If your computer is below the required minimum, we will not be able to provide you with support. You can find the minimum system requirements on the store page for all of our software titles. Instructions on how to check your computer meets a specification can be found on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/261/12/checking-your-computer-meets-a-minimum-specification.
- Ensure you have the absolute latest device driver software installed for your hardware. You will usually be able to find device drivers at your computer vendor's website but here's three useful links that will allow you to update device drivers for the most popular hardware in use:
- Intel Processor/Chipset drivers can be obtained from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
- AMD Processor/Chipset/Display drivers can be obtained from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- nVidia Display Drivers can be obtained from http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/
- Ensure you have all the latest updates for your Operating System in Windows Update. Please try loading the software again to verify if this has resolved your issue. You can find instructions on how to check this on our Knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/260/12/checking-you-have-the-latest-updates-installed-for-windows.
- Restart your computer by selecting Restart from the Start Menu. Please try loading the software again to verify if this has resolved your issue.
- Ensure you have fully verified your Steam installation for our software. You can find instructions on how to verify your files on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/41/0/how-to-verify-the-integrity-of-your-game-files. Please try loading the software again to verify if this has resolved your issue.
- Ensure you have installed all the applications required for our software (DirectX, Visual C++ Runtime Libraries, DotNet and/or nVidia PhysX). You can find instructions on how to do this on our knowledge base at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/264/0/how-to-install-the-required-dependencies-for-train-simulator-2012-to-2020 and https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/263/0/how-to-install-the-required-dependencies-for-train-sim-world. Please try loading the software again to verify if this has resolved your issue.
- Ensure you have attempted a clean reinstall of Train Simulator or Train Sim World. You can find instructions on how to do this on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/262/28/how-to-completely-re-install-train-simulator-or-train-sim-world. Please note you must follow this process as it includes additional steps that are different to a typical uninstall process. Do not reinstall by simply using Uninstall. Once completed, please try loading the software again to verify if this has resolved your issue.
- Ensure you have an appropriate Page File set up for use with our software. You can find instructions on how to verify your files on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/managing-your-computers-virtual-memory-page-file-in-windows.
- Ensure you have attempted a clean boot. You can find instructions on how to do this on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/265/0/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot. Please try loading the software again to verify if this has resolved your issue.
- Ensure you have verified the integrity of your Windows system files. You can find instructions on how to do this on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/266/0/verifying-the-integrity-of-windows-system-files. Please try loading the software again to verify if this has resolved your issue.
- Once you have verified all of the above without any success, you are now ready to contact Customer Support. We’ll need you to provide the following items:
- A DxDiag Report. You can find instructions on how to generate a report on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/176/0/how-to-create-a-dxdiag-report.
- A crash dump file if one is created. You can often find these on your hard disk, and the error message that is displayed will typically give you guidance on where the error logs have been stored. See https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/finding-train-simulator-crash-dump-files
- A LogMate output. You can find instructions on how to generate a report on our knowledgebase at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/i-have-been-asked-to-provide-a-logmate-report-how-do-i-do-this
- Details of the in-game settings you are using.
- Screenshots and/or videos that will help us understand the nature of the issue you're experiencing.
- Step-by-step instructions that we can follow to reproduce the issue.
- Let us know if you have recently installed any mods for our software such as repaints/reskins, free content or third-party products you have purchased (downloaded from a website or somewhere other than Steam).
- Let us know if you have recently subscribed to any new content on Steam Workshop.
After you have compiled the above, please click this link to Submit a Ticket. Please complete all the relevant sections as shown on the page and provide as much detail as possible. The more detail you provide, the better the chance of success in helping you resolve the issue. Please also confirm you have completed each step in the checklist above.
Who is this Document For?
Owners of any of our software titles who are using Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 or Windows 7.