The below change log represents the key changes made to FSX: Gold Edition to create FSX: Steam Edition.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)
- Updated splash, launcher and mission preview images for FSX:SE versions.
Multiplayer, networking and communications
- Gamespy networking now replaced by new Steam networking.
- Game chat now integrated with Steam chat
- Friends/Banned lists now integrated with Steam.
- Game invites now use Steam.
- Host networking defaults to a single port 6112.
- Host networking uses 27016 for Steam Master Server Browser.
- Host timeout (loss of connection to host) now 35 seconds by default (was 55).
- "Disconnected" message dialog now retained on screen for 4 mins before automatic dismissal (was 30 secs).
- Top Down Camera (camera view select 4) was previously bound to F12 by default which is normally used for Steam's screenshot feature. Camera View Select 4 now uses Shift+F12 by default to avoid potential clash.
Compatibility with FSX boxed
- FSX and Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition co-Existence feature allows both versions to be installed on the same machine.
Default System-Setting Alterations
- Increased TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 4096 up from 1024
- Changed HIGHMEMFIX=1
- Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers.
- Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.
- Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.
- Fix to Texture Composition preventing fail and crash.
- Fixed issue where player is able to reserve more slots for friends than maximum players allowed in the game.
- Fixed issue where invalid Briefing Room was presented to player when cancelling session creation.
- Fixed issue where weather text in the multiplayer briefing room is partially cut off.
- Fixed issue where no error message appears when attempting to host a session with the network adapter disabled.
- Fixed issue where there is no error message when attempting to host a session with the network cable unplugged.
- Fixed issue where host player is frozen after a collision occurs in multiplayer.
- Fixed issue where client gets dropped from a multiplayer game after they crash into the host.
- Fixed issue where the Host Options in multiplayer/ Free Flight allow a user to have a maximum of 99 player slots.
- UIAutomationCore.dll work-a-round is now supplied by default with Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. This fixes a number of crashes relating to UI interaction on 64-bit versions of Windows.
- Fixed issue where the application’s taskbar preview window displays no content on Windows 8 and above
- Prevent default colour mode for Windows 7 and above (enable automatic display composition).
- sserife.fon file now automatically supplied and loaded